Friday, July 6, 2012

Another scorcher

At 9:30 a.m. and my thermometer is reading 33.*C, fore casted temps today 34*C but by the looks of it, it will be higher.  When the humidity is factored in it feels like a sauna at 44*C.  The rain we had earlier this week during thunderstorms did not do much good, it almost evaporated as fast as it fell.  It's summer what can we expect.
Birds and squirrels are regular visitors to my pond to get a cool drink of water.  Robins are even getting into the waterfall for a shower, they are such fun to watch.
So what am I doing to keep cool?, staying in the house with the A/C on, (which I absolutely hate) reading and sewing.
Reading--Just finished two of Nicholas Sparks' books, The Wedding and The Notebook, which was recently made into a movie, which I have yet to see.  Thoroughly enjoyed them both.  Earlier this week pick up another of his books Dear John, plus one from Gilda O'Neill. 
Sewing--Using up some of my selvages by making a backpack.  So far I am liking the way it looks.  Today the lining and the flap will be finished so on the home stretch now.  Just have to purchase a large coordinating button, haven't been able to find one that is "just right".  Also, working on putting together my one block wonder and making "cubes" to go in it.  The fabric, I am using would be classed into the ugly category, but after being cut up into small triangles for the hexagon blocks it looks a lot better.
Photo's of both to follow in a later blog.
Have a great Friday everyone.

Paricia

3 comments:

Pokey said...

I do hope you are staying cool with an a/c, right? Glad you are having some reading time and sewing time. July is my favorite part of summer, mostly because there is no school, ha-ha! But it's better with a/c ~

Oh, I hope you show your selvage backpack. I'm saving selvages, but not sure where to begin. I talk of selvage projects to people, and they look at me weird...!Are you sewing your selvages down onto a foundation, like muslin? I'm curious ~
:-}pokey

Mary said...

Hi Patricia - I bet Alaska would be good right now!! Are you still planning to go later this year? We're in a heatwave too - 106F the day I returned from Africa and around 100F every day.

I recall you want to visit South Africa too - I'll post pics of my 5 days there soon - still have Zimbabwe and Zambia to show first! It was a 3 week safari trip so needless to say I took thousands of pics - will take some time to go through them all.

Stay cool - guess we should be thankful for a/c - I know I couldn't survive here without it.....must be our English blood and growing up in cool rain, ha! ha!

Happy weekend - Mary

Unknown said...

What a lovely rose for your header!

Thanks for the update.

Your garden visitors sound lovely. Isn't it great to watch nature?

Sounds like you are using your time well.Looking forward to seeing the finished back pack!

Sft x