Saturday, May 1, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

Yesterday I worked all afternoon in my garden, it was such a lovely day, got a bit sun burnt too. My flower beds in our back garden are all curved, I liked the way it looked and they made the area look nice. However, I now help OH cut the lawn and our lawn mower is heavy, so to make the job easier on us both I am in the process of making all of the edges straight. What a job!! The side beds are done, they were about 30 feet in length, now in the process of doing the ones around our deck, only one at the back of the garden to do, it's the longest, about 50 feet.
Also baked some sweet bread. My dd2 gave me a started bag of Amish Sweet Bread (Friendship Bread). I had to keep it in a plastic bag for five days, MUSH it every day, then feed it on the 6th day with flour, sugar and milk, and then MUSH it for another 4 days. On the 10th day I had to take out 4 cups of the dough and put 1 cup in each of four plastic bags, these are suppose to be given to friends, thus the name. With the remaining dough I had to add flour, eggs, sugar, etc, etc. and made two loaves. Needless to say it was delicious and only half a loaf is left. I justify eating it because of paragraph one.
My next door neighbour gave me a big armfull of rhubarb, I put three containers in the freezer, and we had some for our dinner tonight. Some time, tomorrow, both OH and I will have our Spring cleaning done. lol. Thanks goodness the forecast is for rain tomorrow it will give me a chance to do some sewing, rest my achy muscles and be close to the loo.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Patricia

6 comments:

Hazel said...

I nearly choked on my tea LOL good luck with that spring cleaning thing LOL .I needed that laugh .It sounds like you have a big yard ,take care and don't over due it .

Elizabeth said...

I love gardening! My yard is in serious need of some work. How does the saying go? Rainy days are meant for gardeners to get the housework done? Perhaps sunny days are meant for quilters to get the yard work done. Will you be posting before and after shots of your beds? I'd love to at least see the 'after' shots. Oh, and that Amish Friendship bread is fun. I've done that before.

cottonreel said...

The Amish bread sounds interesting how do you start it off?
The gardening ! I,m having a day off--cottonreel

Catsngrams said...

I am new to your blog but love conversing with people in diffent countries. My ancestors were from England. I hope you do not mind me visiting once in a while. Lovely post.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, hope you have a lovely one,

Gill

Molly said...

I thought I was down as a follower? What did I do wrong? Don't answer that!! But I'm down as one now so it's all set. Happy Mother's Day to you, and have a good week.