Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Garden.....








As mentioned in previous posts, gardening is second on my list of hobbies. Today I am showing two flowers currently in bloom in my back garden.





This water lily is the second pink one that has bloomed in my pond this year . I particularly like this photo as you can see the drops of rain water on the petals and leaves. Click on photo to get a better look.






This is a Brugmansia, a friend gave me a 12 inch cutting last Fall, telling me to keep it in the basement, watering it occasionally during the Winter. Bring it up into the sunshine early Spring and put it outside when all danger of frost is over. After following these instructions the cutting has rewarded me with some beautiful flowers, the photo does not do them justice. It is a delicate pink, at the outer edge, changing to a pale yellow at the base of the flower. If I had children or pets I would not grow this plant as it can be toxic if ingested.
Patricia

10 comments:

Barb H said...

Beautiful flowers. Gardening is such a rewarding activity and produces such beauty.

sweet blondie blue eyes said...

Lovely flowers, I love water lilies too, we used to have several years ago, no pond now.

cottonreel said...

Is Brugmansia the same as Datura , they have the same kind of flowers and are also toxic . Beautiful water lilies--cottonreel

Quiltluver said...

I love your water lillies. Such beautiful color!

cottonreel said...

Gosh Patricia ,will your tree possibly grow 11 mtr,s high and have those flowers. Ooo, I don,t think I want one of them --cottonreel

Hazel said...

Beautiful photo of the water lilies ,my compliments to the photographer .

Rhoda said...

You should frame and hang that water lily picture. It's just beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen one that dark pink. I've not heard of the Brugmansia.

Elizabeth said...

Pictures hardly ever do anything justice, but that Brugmansia is intriguing even in photos. I'm very envious (in a good way ;) ) of your waterlilies. They are stunning and I don't know which color I like better. Thanks for sharing a bit of your corner of the world.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that water lily is just lovely, can you show a photo of your whole pond.

Gill

Shirley said...

Wow Patricia! Your plants are amazing. I'd love to be good at gardening.